Wanted: Med Steel SS 29er Frame

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Med Steel SS 29er Frame

Hey- I'm looking for a used, steel SS 29er frame. Not looking to run a tensioner, so EEB or horizontal dropouts are a must. Names like Niner, Vassago, Salsa get me really excited .

Does it HAVE to be steel?

Comment

Originally posted by MMcG View Post
      Does it HAVE to be steel?
      Well, I'm riding a GF Rig now (alum), so I'm looking for something a little more compliant. What do ya got?

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Chocula View Post
        Well, I'm riding a GF Rig now (alum), so I'm looking for something a little more compliant. What do ya got?
        I rode a Rig for about a year before I got my Ted Wojcik. Can I tell the difference? Not really. Tire pressure makes a much bigger difference. If the Rig doesnt fit, that's another story. Ted tweaked the geo a bit.

consider a vassago? again, check the geo

Comment

Originally posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
          I rode a Rig for about a year before I got my Ted Wojcik. Can I tell the difference? Not really. Tire pressure makes a much bigger difference. If the Rig doesnt fit, that's another story. Ted tweaked the geo a bit.

consider a vassago? again, check the geo

Noooooo! Retract this post . I run a low pressure Stan's setup... and the rig fits fine.... I just want something cooler! You're ruining my self-justification here.

Seriously though, this my only bike, so I want something a little more compliant for all-day rides... and I've heard really good things about the wierd Vassago geo (you'r on MTBR right? those guys on the 29er forum never shut about it!).

Comment

Noooooo! Retract this post . I run a low pressure Stan's setup... and the rig fits fine.... I just want something cooler! You're ruining my self-justification here.

Seriously though, this my only bike, so I want something a little more compliant for all-day rides... and I've heard really good things about the wierd Vassago geo (you'r on MTBR right? those guys on the 29er forum never shut about it!).
            i think some/all of the vassago freaks are sponsored by vassago. or friends or whatever.

if you just want something cooler, that's fine, i understand. just don't expect a big bunch of compliance from a frame. consider a fancy moots seatpost, some ti bars. maybe even a fancier suspension fork. you will feel a bigger diff with that. just my opinion.

Comment

You might notice the Steel/Aluminum difference more in a larger frame though... I find my XL inbred much 'softer' than similar sized Aluminum frames.

Your results may vary....

H.
              PVNEMBA - Riding at its BEST
              http://www.facebook.com/CharlemontTrails

Comment

For the east coast - in my humble opinion - get a frame with shorter chainstays than what that ******** wet cat geometry from Vassago.

Here's one to look into www.qballbikes.com - hand built by a really cool dude in Michigan. Sort of like a Karate Monkey - only a better bottom bracket height for our east coast stuff. Nice quality steel, ability to run gears or go single speed, and a bottle opener built right in!

Cheers,

Mark

Comment

Here's a littl sumthin sumthin I spotted tonight while checking out craigslist. Pretty spectacular IF right here:

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/bik/689996703.html

Comment

Here's a littl sumthin sumthin I spotted tonight while checking out craigslist. Pretty spectacular IF right here:

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/bik/689996703.html
                    Good looking out.. thats some serious scratch though (especially since there's an Ells Evolve on ebay for the same price!).

So you're thinking Q-Ball huh? What else would you recommend? I'm learning first hand that what works in SoCal doesn't always work in NE .

Comment

Good looking out.. thats some serious scratch though (especially since there's an Ells Evolve on ebay for the same price!).

So you're thinking Q-Ball huh? What else would you recommend? I'm learning first hand that what works in SoCal doesn't always work in NE .
                      you will be happy with the IF. i would contact that guy with an offer...

Comment

Originally posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
                        you will be happy with the IF. i would contact that guy with an offer...
                        I would... but I'm in market for something more in the $400 range.

Comment

I would... but I'm in market for something more in the $400 range.
                          then keep the Rig.

Comment

Actually I'd recommend the deal going on right now at www.unrealcycles.com

On One INbred frame, headset and carbon fork dealio for $450!! or frame and headset for $250 - those are Amazing prices and the Inbred will perform GREAT in New England.

http://mtb.unrealcycles.com/catalog/item337.htm

http://mtb.unrealcycles.com/catalog/item339.htm
                            Last edited by MMcG; May 23rd, 2008, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Actually I'd recommend the deal going on right now at www.unrealcycles.com

On One INbred frame, headset and carbon fork dealio for $450!! or frame and headset for $250 - those are Amazing prices and the Inbred will perform GREAT in New England.

http://mtb.unrealcycles.com/catalog/item337.htm

http://mtb.unrealcycles.com/catalog/item339.htm
                              Thats a sweet deal, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X