Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanted: Med Steel SS 29er Frame

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wanted: Med Steel SS 29er Frame

    Hey- I'm looking for a used, steel SS 29er frame. Not looking to run a tensioner, so EEB or horizontal dropouts are a must. Names like Niner, Vassago, Salsa get me really excited .

  • #2
    Does it HAVE to be steel?
    _________________________________________________

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by MMcG View Post
      Does it HAVE to be steel?
      Well, I'm riding a GF Rig now (alum), so I'm looking for something a little more compliant. What do ya got?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Evil Chocula View Post
        Well, I'm riding a GF Rig now (alum), so I'm looking for something a little more compliant. What do ya got?
        I rode a Rig for about a year before I got my Ted Wojcik. Can I tell the difference? Not really. Tire pressure makes a much bigger difference. If the Rig doesnt fit, that's another story. Ted tweaked the geo a bit.

        consider a vassago? again, check the geo

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
          I rode a Rig for about a year before I got my Ted Wojcik. Can I tell the difference? Not really. Tire pressure makes a much bigger difference. If the Rig doesnt fit, that's another story. Ted tweaked the geo a bit.

          consider a vassago? again, check the geo

          Noooooo! Retract this post . I run a low pressure Stan's setup... and the rig fits fine.... I just want something cooler! You're ruining my self-justification here.

          Seriously though, this my only bike, so I want something a little more compliant for all-day rides... and I've heard really good things about the wierd Vassago geo (you'r on MTBR right? those guys on the 29er forum never shut about it!).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Evil Chocula View Post
            Noooooo! Retract this post . I run a low pressure Stan's setup... and the rig fits fine.... I just want something cooler! You're ruining my self-justification here.

            Seriously though, this my only bike, so I want something a little more compliant for all-day rides... and I've heard really good things about the wierd Vassago geo (you'r on MTBR right? those guys on the 29er forum never shut about it!).
            i think some/all of the vassago freaks are sponsored by vassago. or friends or whatever.

            if you just want something cooler, that's fine, i understand. just don't expect a big bunch of compliance from a frame. consider a fancy moots seatpost, some ti bars. maybe even a fancier suspension fork. you will feel a bigger diff with that. just my opinion.

            Comment


            • #7
              You might notice the Steel/Aluminum difference more in a larger frame though... I find my XL inbred much 'softer' than similar sized Aluminum frames.

              Your results may vary....

              H.
              PVNEMBA - Riding at its BEST
              http://www.facebook.com/CharlemontTrails

              Comment


              • #8
                For the east coast - in my humble opinion - get a frame with shorter chainstays than what that ******** wet cat geometry from Vassago.

                Here's one to look into www.qballbikes.com - hand built by a really cool dude in Michigan. Sort of like a Karate Monkey - only a better bottom bracket height for our east coast stuff. Nice quality steel, ability to run gears or go single speed, and a bottle opener built right in!

                Cheers,

                Mark
                _________________________________________________

                Comment


                • #9
                  Here's a littl sumthin sumthin I spotted tonight while checking out craigslist. Pretty spectacular IF right here:

                  http://westernmass.craigslist.org/bik/689996703.html
                  _________________________________________________

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MMcG View Post
                    Here's a littl sumthin sumthin I spotted tonight while checking out craigslist. Pretty spectacular IF right here:

                    http://westernmass.craigslist.org/bik/689996703.html
                    Good looking out.. thats some serious scratch though (especially since there's an Ells Evolve on ebay for the same price!).

                    So you're thinking Q-Ball huh? What else would you recommend? I'm learning first hand that what works in SoCal doesn't always work in NE .

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Evil Chocula View Post
                      Good looking out.. thats some serious scratch though (especially since there's an Ells Evolve on ebay for the same price!).

                      So you're thinking Q-Ball huh? What else would you recommend? I'm learning first hand that what works in SoCal doesn't always work in NE .
                      you will be happy with the IF. i would contact that guy with an offer...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
                        you will be happy with the IF. i would contact that guy with an offer...
                        I would... but I'm in market for something more in the $400 range.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Evil Chocula View Post
                          I would... but I'm in market for something more in the $400 range.
                          then keep the Rig.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Actually I'd recommend the deal going on right now at www.unrealcycles.com

                            On One INbred frame, headset and carbon fork dealio for $450!! or frame and headset for $250 - those are Amazing prices and the Inbred will perform GREAT in New England.

                            http://mtb.unrealcycles.com/catalog/item337.htm

                            http://mtb.unrealcycles.com/catalog/item339.htm
                            Last edited by MMcG; May 23rd, 2008, 12:02 PM.
                            _________________________________________________

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MMcG View Post
                              Actually I'd recommend the deal going on right now at www.unrealcycles.com

                              On One INbred frame, headset and carbon fork dealio for $450!! or frame and headset for $250 - those are Amazing prices and the Inbred will perform GREAT in New England.

                              http://mtb.unrealcycles.com/catalog/item337.htm

                              http://mtb.unrealcycles.com/catalog/item339.htm
                              Thats a sweet deal, thanks!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X