Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Mixed Breed Puppy

Let me know if you know of any. Thanks.
    If you didn't build the trail, don't mess with it.

Adopt from a rescue organization or shelter.

Comment

That's expensive these days. $300 plus!!! What are these organizations thinking? Can't be good for placement. There has got to be a better way. I am trying to cut-out the middle rescue lady and find an unplanned litter someone maybe strapped with.

Comment

They've gotta pay their bills too. Have you checked around completely? $300 does sound a bit high - maybe you can find a rescue organization that has "foster homes" - those can keep costs down because they don't need a kennel facility.

Good luck!

Comment

$300 is a little steep, what rescue outfit is that? You could try this website :

http://www.petfinder.com
          Don't blame me --I voted for Kerry Healey

Comment

Petfinder's a great site. You'll want to concentrate on local pounds rather than 'rescue' operations. We tried the 'rescue' route and it was a complete PIA. Multi-page applications, all sorts of prerequisites (5' fence area attached to the house, no kids under x years, etc), interviews, on and on and on. Then a lot of them brought dogs up from the south, so you're expected to take a dog in that you've never even met in some cases. It was like trying to adopt a frikking kid. 4 months in, we still hadn't even seen a real live dog (nor got return calls or emails from most of the places we contacted.) Finally gave up and paid a few hundred at the Sterling Shelter and got an awesome dog. They've always got tons of pups too.

www.sterlingshelter.org
            Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
            Sinister Bikes
            Wachusett Brewing
            Sunday River Bike Park

Comment

It's discouraging. I lost my Rottie a year and a half ago and was surprized at the expense of the shelters(NH-Cocheco & Stratham). A friend checked the shelters and left kind of angry at the way they're running now. Then he checked online and found a couple mixed breed puppies for two hundred dollars each on Craig's List. The owner had only the two left that he took. Seems high for mutts but the price at the shelters have created this increased price in purchasing a dog. Now the vets are getting big money also. The same friend had to take his dog in for an emergency and it was $800 for an overnight visit. Another friend took in their cat and it was $680 for an overnight stay. With all the rate increases I'm staying away from the pet thing. I'm sad because I've had dogs all my life. Times are changin'.

Comment

Right on!

Slappy nailed it!!! Perfect recap!!!

Told my daughter we had to wait until all vacations were over then we could get a puppy. It's been a couple weeks now and totally frustrated... The wife is staying after it and we are no longer thinking we will be getting the puppy anytime real soon. Sure is teaching the daughter patients and how to keep your expectations low. She is being very good through this.

Heard good things about Sterling (but they are demanding too) and we are pursuing Bandit's Place, as well. These "rescue" people sure are righteous... I could really start bashing... They want copies of mortgage statements, 5' fences, no kids, whole family attendance to adopt.............................. A couple fees around $150-200, but most are $300 - $400+

Reading articles about the "no-kill" places and how bad it is for a dog to spend a lot of time couped up without much human intervention. The article says that euthanizing is more humane at some point. Who's righteous now.. IDK

And now huge fees for boutique mutts... lab-or-doodles ...cocka-poos...

I like a good old fashioned happy-dog mutt.

Thanks for the help!
                Last edited by TheHare; August 14th, 2007, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I have to wonder sometimes how many of these shelter dogs are essentially being sentenced to death because of the high "rescue" fees prohibiting people who otherwise would from adopting.
                  Don't blame me --I voted for Kerry Healey

Comment

Still no luck with a younger, non aggressive breed. Tons of Pit-bull mixes around. Beautiful, but... And we have been looking at even the high dollar "rescues". Totally frustrated. Please keep an eye out for us. Thanks!

Comment

does it have to be a puppy?

Comment

We had a similar experience when looking for a puppy five years ago - a lot of pit bulls, little else at the shelters. We actually started down the road with a pit bull rescue place. They found us a dog, brought her out and we "passed" the inspection. As we were completing the final paperwork (it was like we were adopting a child - really) one of the neighbors came over and had a fit. I love dogs and I really think Pit bulls are not dangerous dogs, but we caved and gave up on the adoption.

Subsequently we found a Jack Russell, who is challenging in just about every way you can think of, I'm sure the Pit bull would have been a much better option :-D

John
                        Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Comment

High adoption fees

I think the reasoning behind the high adoption fees is to discourage those who're adopting on a whim, or who wouldn't be able or willing to take proper care of the animal once it's in the family. Many of the people (present company excluded) who wouldn't be willing to shell out the $350 to adopt a dog would turn out to be unprepared for the amount of committment owning a dog is. IE young college kids, people unexperienced with dog ownership.

Our family is working through this process right now with labs4adoption. All of their dogs are also spayed/neutered and up to date on all shots & medical issues, so I think that's also a large chunk of the fee ($350).

I will say that some of the adoption outfits are too standoffish in their requirements. We started out talking to Yankee Goldens, a golden retriever rescue, and they wouldn't consider us due to inability to completely fence in our yard (we have a town easement & aren't allowed to obstruct it, so "invisible" fence is our only option). They rejected us out of hand even though all our previous dogs came through the golden rescue organization in the city we used to live in. So some of the points made in previous posts I agree with, but $350 isn't too much for a lifelong companion.
                          There\'s nothing wrong with being a beverage snob.

Comment

Originally posted by MMcG View Post
                            does it have to be a puppy?
                            Everything is negotiable at this point. Because of my kids age and our previous dog (just passed at 15yrs of age), my kids have never experienced a puppy of their own. If we get a dog three years old, they/we will not likely adopt again until they are young adults. So, ideally a puppy, but anything under 18 months (or so) is up for consideration.
                            My wife made a couple calls at the beginning of the summer and I told she was nuts. We had a plan to adopt when our vacations were complete for the season. I said "Why make calls ahead of time? We are going to go to the pound when we are ready, and you know we will fall in love with most any dog we see. We will come home with one the first day." Well, that was four weeks ago...

Preferences in order:
                            Dog
                            Non-Aggressive Breed
                            Mixed Breed
                            Puppy
                            20-50lbs
                            Female

Comment

www.sterlingshelter.org

Come and get us! We're off getting spayed and nuetered right now and should be ready to go real soon.

(they do like to see the family and proof of home ownership, but that's as far as they go on requirements. I'll very likely go back for our next pup)

Last edited by Slappy; August 30th, 2007, 04:25 PM.
                              Slapheadmofo Leisure Team
                              Sinister Bikes
                              Wachusett Brewing
                              Sunday River Bike Park

Comment

Working...
                              X