PDA

View Full Version : Ever bashed your knee on a rock?

edge
September 28th, 2005, 05:02 PM
So I went over my bars last Tuesday and haven't been able to walk or ride without pain ever since. I slammed my knee cap really, really hard on a rock. The cap didn't dislocate from what I can tell. Anyone ever had this happen and if so, how long till I can ride again? I think I have a bone bruise...

The ladies love my new pimp limp but I gots to ride. ;)

Jisch
September 28th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Its definitely a bruise to the metafecal carpal tendon, seen it a hundred times. Use ice for 10 mins, heat for 20 repeat 7 times the first day decreasing by 1% each day for the rest of the month, it will be fine...

Kidding!

Go to the doctor, knees are complicated and can't be diagnosed over the 'net.

That being said - if I hit my knees on anything <handlebars> I have trouble walking. Knee pads are my friends. And now that I'm wearing these ducky knee/shin protectors, my shins no longer look like I have some kind of skin condition. Scars are cool - scabbed wounds are not.

John

splat
September 28th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Lets see a couple weeks ago I went riding with my Wife and Son, why would I need knee pads I'm only going with them !!

Wrong -- Knee pads are good !

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/jgoeller/IMG_6908.jpg

catbbq
September 29th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Suck it up. That's hardly a scratch.

The bloody one's don't bother me too much. It those ear ringing bone on rock bruises that get me down.

Hey edge, have you actually tried riding? My knee hurts after running with my wife, but the low impact of peddling doesn't hurt at all. Of course, I suppose I could be ripping, tearing, and grinding my knee to ogre meal, but at least I'm on my bike.

edge
September 29th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Suck it up. That's hardly a scratch.

The bloody one's don't bother me too much. It those ear ringing bone on rock bruises that get me down.

Hey edge, have you actually tried riding? My knee hurts after running with my wife, but the low impact of peddling doesn't hurt at all. Of course, I suppose I could be ripping, tearing, and grinding my knee to ogre meal, but at least I'm on my bike.

Yeah, I tried riding but the pain sucks the fun out of my ride. There was no blood at all to your point. It was just a knee-meets-rock impact from aprox 4 ft. It's looking bigger today so I may have to see the doc so they can take a look. Damnit...

Jisch
September 29th, 2005, 10:08 AM
A friend of mine was out MXing in Moab, crashed and hit his knee on a rock. He waited and waited to go to the doc. He finally went, they did an MRI and found he had a cracked patella. OUCH! He was off the mtb for 8 weeks, back on the road bike after 6.

Similar symptoms though, pain and swelling and difficulty walking/bending.

John

nhiker
September 29th, 2005, 10:14 AM
I have given my right knee about three good shots on rock now over the last 3-4 years. Had to go in and have it drained once..... So now if I am going someplace technical out come the pads. My doctor said essentially I am wearing them out ::) so I protect them! I am not friggin done with them yet! >:(.

Harry

TrailBate
September 29th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Jeez, can't you people stay on your bikes?

I often whack the side of my knee against my top tube. That smarts. I can't imagine bashing my knee on a rock. That's gotta be as bad as whacking yer nuts on something.

petembike
September 29th, 2005, 10:23 AM
I am the unfortunate recipient of a broken knee cap from bashing a rock. I went to the ER, and they were unable to diagnose it so I dragged it around and skied on it in extreme pain until my wife force me to go to another Ortho and lo and behold the cap was broken in two places. If it does not get better, go to a doctor. I am finally better, but nine months later. Ice, rest and wear knee pads when you ride. My injury was preventable. I do not care what I look like, I wear knees and elbows to prevent what I consider to be the most painful injury I have every had(I have had five knee operations, and broken 20+ bones) so unfortunately I have a lot of experience with injury and pain.

TrailBate
September 29th, 2005, 10:31 AM
I still can't believe it when I see people mountain biking without helmets. Perhaps It will someday satisfy my curiosity for what a bashed skull looks like. (no links to rotten.com please)

juiceguy03
September 29th, 2005, 11:30 AM
i bashed my knee ( over the bars) against a flat rock the last week in July.
No blood, just swelled to about 3-4 times normal size. The swelling has gone down, but it's still about twice it's usual size and very tender...

Rych
September 29th, 2005, 12:27 PM
I still can't believe it when I see people mountain biking without helmets. Perhaps It will someday satisfy my curiosity for what a bashed skull looks like. (no links to rotten.com please)

When I see people riding without helmets I try to steer clear off them. I feel If I see them bash there skull open them I'm responsible to help get them out of the woods. But I can 't help someone who I don't know is hurt. Meat helmets suck.

petembike
September 29th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Juiceguy, go to a Doctor. That is not normal. Trust me, you are better off finding out that something is wrong now versus two months from now. Injuries suck, but they need to be treated or you will be a gimp when you are 50(or younger).

truckboy
September 29th, 2005, 02:32 PM
That's right boys - take care o'dem knees. I'm off the bike, off the skates, off the skis, and in pain just walking due to a torn meniscus and something called Chondromalacia Patellar, where the kneecap rubs too hard on the femur and tibia, and the cartilage on all 3 gets torn up and inflamed. I understand it can happen to a degree with the type of hits you guys are talking about too. It sux. My only hope is that surgery and a few months off will allow me a modicum of riding come Summer. Not Spring, Summer. Until then it's political rants and tv sports.

nhiker
September 29th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Jeez, can't you people stay on your bikes?

I often whack the side of my knee against my top tube. That smarts. I can't imagine bashing my knee on a rock. That's gotta be as bad as whacking yer nuts on something.

Hey! What are you doing out of the political forum! ;) Get back before I get the holy water! ;D

edge
September 29th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Just went and had xrays and tests. Nothing is broken and the doc says I'll be riding again in 2-3 weeks.

Anyone know of a good brand of knee pad? I don't want the knee-shin combo. Just the knees. Somthin light and comfortable.

Jisch
September 29th, 2005, 08:45 PM
I have a set of 661 DJ Knee pads. They work great, the one complaint I have is that the have a solid strap across the back, so you have to put them on before you put your shoes on, and can't take them off without removing your shoes. As with any pad, they are hotter than no pad.

I just recently switched from the DJ pads to Roach knee/shin pads to protect my shins. I think I've started doing some more difficult stuff this year and it while I haven't had any crashes which are too serious, the partial falls and catches often result in pedals coming back around.

Oh yeah - and there is nothing in the world like falling on your knees when you are wearing knee pads. This past weekend I went OTB and landed smack dab on my knees, just before impact, I'm bracing for pain, forgetting I had the pads on. I landed on rocks - no pain whatsoever. Heaven.

John

John

edge
September 29th, 2005, 09:33 PM
I just recently switched from the DJ pads to Roach knee/shin pads to protect my shins.

I have a set of the Roach FR's but I got sick of the bulk since I'm not hucking off stuff anymore. I'm looking at the 661 Veggie knee wraps. I wonder if they are the kind that I'd have to slip on over my muddy shoes.

off piste
September 29th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Just went and had xrays and tests. Nothing is broken and the doc says I'll be riding again in 2-3 weeks.

Anyone know of a good brand of knee pad? I don't want the knee-shin combo. Just the knees. Somthin light and comfortable.

http://www.yuccadune.com/product635.html

Jisch
September 29th, 2005, 10:13 PM
I just recently switched from the DJ pads to Roach knee/shin pads to protect my shins.

I have a set of the Roach FR's but I got sick of the bulk since I'm not hucking off stuff anymore. I'm looking at the 661 Veggie knee wraps. I wonder if they are the kind that I'd have to slip on over my muddy shoes.

Yep, my buddy's got those (or had them) and they are the same as the DJ's without the hard plastic front piece.

John

edge
September 29th, 2005, 10:16 PM

http://www.yuccadune.com/product635.html

Cool design.

girlygirl
October 2nd, 2005, 09:14 PM
YES - my knees are junk :) I have to wear pant suits to work instead of skirts because my co-workers are sick of seeing my bruised knees....
The picture below (minus the hair :) looks like my knees! I need knee pads...

noskills
October 3rd, 2005, 03:20 PM
armor today = ride tomorrow ;D

i actually encountered another rider at Borderland a while back that asked me in a sarcastic tone "body armor, what do you need that for?" what a dumbass!!

mtbtom
October 3rd, 2005, 11:18 PM
Shin pads would have helped me. ;D
http://18.85.21.43/i.nsf/blood.jpg