View Full Version : XT Top Swing Derailleur
March 22nd, 2003, 05:58 PM
I have an XT top swing front derailleur and i took that plastic block out before I adjusted the hight n stuff. Now I can only get the damn thing to go from the small to the middle ring. Any suggestions on fixing this?
March 22nd, 2003, 06:03 PM
I was just wrestling with mine last weekend. I'd check the the cable tension on the smallest ring, then the travel limit screws.
March 23rd, 2003, 06:44 AM
The block certainly helps with initial installation. It sets the derailleur in mid-throw so that you can set proper height from big chainring and also more easily align it, fore-aft. You can put it back in but it isn't necessary. The key is 2mm clearance from bottom of cage to top of large ring and having the cage parallel to the plane of the chainring. Set inner and outer limits, install cable and adjust. Should be golden.
March 23rd, 2003, 07:50 AM
Should the cage be over the middle or big ring? And how do I adjust the inner and out limits without cable tension?
March 23rd, 2003, 08:59 AM
See the Parktool help good description here for how to set cage clearance, and alignment.
Once you have the cage positioned (over the large ring), and cable is disconnected...
1. Turn both limit screws a few turns CC - (open the limits up)
2. Ensure that Front Der bar shifter is in low gear all the way. (Pull on cable while shifting to low)
3. Ensure rear deraileur is in largest cog (1st)
4. At this point chain should be in small chainring on front der. IF not, turn L limit screw until it is when pedalled. When it is, adjust limit screw so inside cage is within 0-1mm of contacting chain as pedaled (gears 1 and 1).
5. Attach cable now, ensure to install so there's no slack in cable. Be sure to leave your shifter barrell adjuster screwed all the way in before tightening cable, to take up that last bit of tension if needed.
6.Try pedaling/shifting front der in all three rings. Ensure that chain doesn't get thrown off when quickly shifting to small chain ring (chainsuck).
For large Chainring, if it doesn't go to top ring, turn H adjuster screw CC. Otherwise set the H limit screw with chain on big Chainring, and rear der smallest cog; set so the outer plate of F der has the same amount of clearance you put on the low side, and test to see that when pedaling the chain makes it up, but isn't thrown.
7. Test in all gears. should be all set.
I'm outta here-goin for a ride.
March 23rd, 2003, 07:54 PM
Got it working. Im running race face cranks with a race face bb. I didnt read the race face manual correctly and didnt close that gap between cranks the bb. all set now but thanks for the help
Powered by vBulletin™ Version 4.0.5 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.